Sunday, January 1, 2012

   A while back, some of you heard that I accidentally won a church chili cook-off. These things are a bit overdone at this point and it showed by the number of non-traditional entries. Anyway, when they first sent around a sign-up sheet to bring food to the social, you could enter whether or not you wanted to be judged in the competition. I didn't.
   It was a dark and stormy night. (Okay, it was really just sprinkling.) I set my pot on the table away from the pots that were numbered for the contest and went on my merry way. At least, as merry as it could be tending a 2 year old who had burned her hand on the iron half an hour earlier. Said 2 year old also hadn't taken a nap. Good times. Or not. After eating some fabulous pumpkin chili, I waited in the foyer with a sleeping Kaitlyn for the night to end.
   It turned out, the powers that be changed their minds and decided to judge all soups and chilies brought in and the muffled applause I heard, was actually for me. I won a wooden spoon and bottle of authentic Mexican hot sauce. I'm not a big fan of hot sauce, but Josh was really excited about it. Until I dropped it getting out of the car. Oops. But if any of you like white chili, this one worked for me! I doubled the recipe, substituted dried minced onions for fresh, green enchilada sauce for half the chopped chilies, a pinch of Chinese white pepper for cayenne, reduced the beans (and mashed some of them), and stirred in a carton of sour cream in lieu of serving it with cheese (since it was pot luck style).



No comments:

Post a Comment